For those of you that would like to run RootsMagic 5 Essentials on your Mac without having to pay for a license for CrossOver or a Windows license to run it in Parallels, VMware Fusion or Virtualbox, here is a how-to for installing RootsMagic 5 on Mac OS using wineskin.
Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7
Download necessary packages
Create the wineskin .app
- Run the downloaded wineskin zip to extract the application
- Move Wineskin Winery to your Applications folder
- Run Wineskin Winery
- Click 'Update' to update the wineskin wrapper to 2.5.5
- Click the + to add the 'WS9Wine1.5.5' Engine
- Select the 'WS9Wine1.5.5' Engine and click 'Create New Blank Wrapper'
- Choose a name for the wrapper without spaces, ie "RootsMagic5"
- Click OK
- When prompted, click the button to install Gecko
- Click 'View Wrapper in Finder'
- Run the RootsMagic5 app by double-clicking RootsMagic5
Install RootsMagic 5
- Click Install Software
- Click Choose Setup Executable
- Select the RootsMagic install (usually RM5Setup.exe)
- Complete the install using the default settings and, at the end, uncheck Launch RootsMagic before clicking Finish
- Select RootsMagic.exe as the main executable from the dropdown
- Click OK
- Quit wineskin winery
Run RootsMagic 5
- Run RootsMagic5 from the Applications->Wineskin folder that resides in your User directory
- Copy and paste functions are done using the Ctrl+c and Ctrl+v key combinations like you would in Windows. Not using the command button like you are used to.
- These instructions can be applied to the full version of RootsMagic, but the websearch capability may not function properly unless you replace Gecko with Internet Explorer 7.
Please post a comment if you find this how-to useful or if you have a comment or question.