Install BlueKingdom ROMI have tried a few roms for the Design and this one is the best if you like JellyBean. It isn't a true JellyBean ROM as it is still based on ICS according to the phone info, but it has as much of the HTC bloat removed as possible and has many of the JellyBean menus. It is incredibly responsive and looks beautiful. Freedom Phones come with CWM recovery already, so all you have to do to install this ROM is the following:
- On wifi on your phone, navigate to http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23159073880932946
- Click the green circle to download the file
- Shutdown and pull the battery
- Put the battery back
- Hold Voldown+Power
- After it runs its checks, select recovery
- In recovery select wipe factory default
- Select install zip from SD card
- Find BlueKingdom1.4.zip in your downloads folder
- When complete, select reboot from main menu
- Front-facing camera has issues with taking photos, so no selfies just yet
- No way to access the built-in Android SIP account settings (System Settings->Phone on ICS)
Put more apps to install to SD CardInstall the HTC drivers and Android SDK and run the following command. It will allow you to put more apps onto your SD card than currently permitted. It will also set the SD card as the default location for new apps.
adb shell pm set-install-location 2Caveat: Widgets will not work for apps installed on SD card
Install CSipSimple and setup for FreedomPop
FreedomPop's Messaging app is just a custom flavor of the CSipSimple open source SIP app. I would like to assume that they did some tweaking of it to make it work better, but in my testing I have arrived at the contrary conclusion. They seem to have made it so the Messaging app constantly has a wake-lock on which kills battery life. FP doesn't allow you to directly access the settings that it uses to connect to their SIP servers, but it is fairly trivial to get the information necessary to setup the vanilla CSipSimple app.
- Backup Messaging app with Titanium
- Copy the tar.gz file containing the data for Messaging onto your computer and extract it
- Use a sqlite viewer to open the database
- Pull your account info from the Accounts table (the main thing you need to get is your password (Field: Data type, a 32-character hex string)
- Use the following configuration to create an account in CSipSimple
Create new expert mode
Account name: FreedomPop
Account id: <sip:1XXXXXXXXXX@fp.layered.net>
Registration URI: sip:fp.layered.net
Data type: Plain password
Default uri scheme: sip
Register timeout (sec): 900
Proxy URI: sip:fp.layered.net
Use compact sip: true
Fast: PCMA, PCMU
Has exactly N digits 7, Prefix by 1XXX (your area code)
Has exactly N digits 10, Prefix by 1
Direct call: Is exactly 911
Can't call: All
FP's PBX server requires phone calls to be of the form 1XXXXXXXXXX so the above filter rules will make your native dialer accept 7-digit numbers from your area code and 10-digit numbers as well as 11-digit numbers.
Using CSipSimple does not receive SMS through FP, so you will probably want to switch to Google Voice for SMS.
This app will selectively hibernate apps when not in use. Make sure you only have it hibernate apps that do not need to be running in the background and don't need to give notifications.
Install HTC Radio app to conserve dataIf you like to listen to Pandora or other streaming radio, using the built-in FM tuner on your phone for music can save you a ton of data. Install the HTC Radio app using one of these two files. You can install the zip using CWM or you can install the apk the traditional way. They are both the same version.
Setup Wifi Tether
- Leave Device-Profile on auto
- Set Setup-Method to Netd(master)
- Uncheck WiFi-driver reload 2
- Configure other settings as you see fit as long as it continues to function
Note: If your connection only seems to last a couple of minutes, try checking WiFi-driver reload
Install 4G toggle app4G Toggle for EVO
Make sure to move this to internal storage if it installs to SD card or it won't show up in the menu